Friday, July 19, 2013

Week 11



This week we talked about parenting. The three most important words that you can ever say to your child are, "I love you."
President Thomas S. Monson said, “To you who are parents, I say, show love to your children. You know you love them, but make certain they know it as well. They are so precious. Let them know. Call upon Heavenly Father for help as you care for their needs each day as you deal with challenges which inevitably come with parenthood you need more than your own wisdom in rearing them.”
Growing up in a large family it was harder to show how we felt. As a child I remember after early morning family scripture study and prayer I would get up and walk over to where dad was sitting on the couch and say bye just before he left for work. I would give him a hug and a kiss and say, “I love you”. Dad would do the same to me and reply with, “love you too kiddo.” After a few years of growing up I was about to go into high school, and I wouldn’t do this anymore. Years had passed since I had done this as he left for work; it was often said, “Bye dad! Love you!” as he would walk out the door each morning. A lot of things changed from when I was a child and did so much with dad like working on the cars by handing him specific wrenches and tools to eating popcorn while watching a movie together and falling asleep in his lap. When I got older I hardly ever heard him say those words to me. Even though it was rarely heard, he was able to say it to me when I needed it most.
I think that it is important to tell your children that you love them, as well as show it in some way. It is important for them to know of the love you have for them when they are young as well as their journey throughout the rest of their lives. As parents we need to show we care and love our children, but we shouldn't be over-bearing.



No comments:

Post a Comment